Manakai's Raw Materials
- Imagine all the nylon waste laying around the globe. Think fishing nets, fabric scraps, carpet scraps and industrial plastics. Econyl®, the company “brains” behind the regeneration process, found a solution to collect these items from around the world and recycle them back into their original origin.
- After the “radical regeneration process” they take these items and manifest a new regenerated yarn for textile and interior industries to use.
- Textile companies such as Carvico & Jersey Lomellina purchase the yarn from Econyl® and create the best stretch fabric on the market.
- Manakai started its operations in August of 2015, becoming Hawaii’s first ever sustainable + ethical swimwear brand in the state and has ONLY sourced regenerated fabrics from Carvico & Jersey Lomellina. We guarantee our customers that we will always source the best sustainable fabrics on the market.
- Manakai will never wrap swimwear in little plastic bags, like most other brands. Instead we created a great system to keep all swimwear stored safe from the elements until you make your purchase. We then wrap your swimwear for shipment in a 100% recycled paper bag with 100% post-consumer recycled content. We seriously dislike plastic.
The Journey from Waste to Quality Swimwear
"For the preservation of the Earth, we choose to use recycled raw matter instead of non-renewable ones". -Manakai Swimwear
A Message from ECONYL®
“For every 10,000 tons of Econyl® raw material, we are able to”:
Designed in Maui, USA MADE
All of Manakai’s creative process and design work takes place on the island of Maui and then brought to life in Sunny California. Manakai’s cut and sew facility are a small family run business (Dad & Daughters) who employ about 20 full time workers. Kelley spent 1-year scheduling appointments with manufactures and participated in person visits before deciding on the perfect team. Kelley worked alongside the team closely the first 4 years of operations. There is an open-door policy and that in itself feels like family.
Plus, Kelley is proud to say something many brands here in the USA cannot: "USA MADE."